Monday 22 September 2008

Being Bold

The management guru Tom Peters has always been a source of inspiration to me. From ‘discovering’ him at university in the late ‘80s and ploughing through many of his management books, his writing has inspired and encouraged change in my working life.

I am chuffed to be on the blogroll at TomPeters.com, a site worth visiting for lively and stimulating debate. Through the site I met management consultant Trevor Gay who’s a regular contributor to the site. Trevor’s mantra in business is dead simple: it’s all about simplicity. So much of what Trevor says is music to my ears.


He’s just done a short interview on Nick McCormick’s blog where Trevor imparts a management tip: on the benefits of being bold. Listen to it here.

Trevor tells the story of how he managed to get Sir Alex Ferguson to endorse his book. He just ‘phoned his office up...! And an approach I have often taken myself if I want to get in touch with someone. Indeed, it's how I got the endorsements for my own books.


And there’s a lot to be said for taking that approach in business and life.

No comments: