Wednesday 1 October 2008

A Product That Works


Sometimes to be a success you don’t need to have a product that’s going to win technology awards or gain acclaim for great design; you just need a product that works.

And that’s the success story of the Asus Eee PC. It’s cheap, light and - it works. It’s a small laptop with a proper keyboard. I’ve had mine for a few months now and love it. I joke it’s a Fisher-Price laptop, indeed it was developed for kids - now it’s being used by business people everywhere because of its portability, functionality and robustness (and price point). An iPhone or Google phone it certainly isn’t.
But I love its simplicity.

And it still gets a ‘wow’ comments from people who haven't seen one yet. A guy came up to me in the coffee shop the other morning to admire and ask questions. Then right afterwards I was sitting outside checking emails when I saw Jennifer who I recently met and interviewed for the ‘Pioneering Spirit’ video (I love it when the world gets smaller by bumping into someone in a huge city ... just like that). She liked the laptop so much she went out and bought one.

It may not be the smartest looking piece of kit but it does what it needs to – it works!

No comments: