Wednesday 2 April 2008

Now that’s what I call eclectic.

The Wiktionary defines ‘eclectic’ as ‘Crossing a range or mixture of specialties’ and that’s what the scrambled up world of work is all about.

Eclectic is a sometimes over-used word, we often use it to describe broad musical tastes. When I was a pioneering teenage radio presenter in 1987, ‘eclectic’ would certainly have described the playlist on ‘Revolver’ the weekly show on BBC Essex I co-hosted. It was certainly scrambled-up. The Bhundu Boys, Nanci Griffith, Half Man Half Biscuit, The Famous Potatoes, Phranc, Fairport Convention, New Order. World, Country, Folk, Indie, Skiffle. It was a radio show with no rules.

I have always liked ‘getting away’ with such a mix. When I was Managing Director of Unique Facilities, a broadcast radio studio, I loved the diversity of our clients: from a sole trader voice-over artist paying £50 for a single hour hire, to a radio station from Washington DC doing their breakfast show for a week. In my book, a client is a client.

That philosophy has been at the heart of my business OHM. We have an eclectic client mix. Because we can (I like the variety), and because we need to (a broad client base makes for a more stable business).

As we start another financial year in the life of OHM, time to reflect with a roll call of our clients to date.

Global Brands and Corporations: MTV Networks, TRS Staffing Solutions, Rogers Media Inc, Benetton, Wiley.

Small Business/ Start-Ups: Bluw Creative, Front Door Property, quidity, Speak, Sorrell, Watercress Media.

Medium Size Enterprises: Classic FM, Deluxe Digital London, Metro Broadcast, Oneword Radio, Clantex, UBC Media Group plc.

Not For Profit Sector: The Leigh Art Trail, The Conservative Group For Europe, The London Trainee Solicitors Group.

Individuals: Katie Houlbrook, Lord Fraser Of Carmyllie QC, Noel Edmonds.

Now that’s what I call eclectic. Thanks to all our clients, whatever their size, whatever their business.

No comments: