Monday 17 August 2009

BBC Essex interview


I went on a nostalgia trip this morning; I was in the studios of BBC Essex in Chelmsford to appear on the Dave Monk programme talking about ‘Juggle!’ 24 years ago, I started my broadcasting career at BBC Essex, starting out as a helper on the Saturday evening ‘youth’ show and then graduating through doing the gig guide to co-presenting that show, ‘driving the desk’ for other programmes, operating the radio car and returning during my university holidays. Having done radio interviews on the ‘phone with stations in the U.S. and Ireland, it was great to visit one closer to home.

1986-7 was when I started juggling. I was working part-time at BBC Essex during the week, helping out on the mid-morning show; then I would go and work for a local record distribution company later in the day, and I was also studying Photography at the local college. That plurality whetted my appetite for a lifetime of juggling.

Dave Monk was there all those years ago, presenting a show on a Saturday morning alongside lecturing in law, Dj’ing at weekends and running his own law practice (he was an early juggler). In the interview I talk about how you can reframe your work life to become a juggler. You can hear it via the BBC i-player here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p0040qz8

The interview starts at 02:06:38 and lasts around 10 minutes.

1 comment:

RichWords said...

Lots of great advice in there, and a nice relaxed interviewee technique! Good radio - well done.