Friday 20 June 2008

Expedition Kit




As a kid I was fascinated by those photographs of a mountaineer’s kit you’d see in a Sunday magazine or a pull out poster; all the kit for an Everest expedition laid out. I was intrigued by the ‘tools of the trade’, the kit to climb that mountain or achieve that endeavour.

So as I was making piles of stuff to throw in my bag for my writing trip to Nice, I snapped a picture in homage.

These are my tools of the trade and whilst writing a book may not be the same as climbing a mountain, when you are trying to mentally prepare whilst doing 17 other things at the sane time, it can certainly feel like it.

So I had 3 days in Nice, focused on my second book ‘Juggle!’. 3 days of inspiration and stimulation away from my desk. Think of it as the literary equivalent of going to the countryside to write that ‘difficult second album’.

I returned last night, a notepad full of ideas and scribbles.

Writer, musician, mountaineer, astronaut, small business owner. It’s all the same. It’s about knowing what it’s going to take to achieve your goals, preparing for it and just doing it.

No comments: