Friday 21 May 2010

Simplify Your Message

Often I act as a ‘Clarity Funnel’ for my clients: I soak IN a business’s DNA and then articulate OUT a clear and distinct market position or strategy/idea.

What does that actually mean? For a client I’ve been working with this week, that means visiting their warehouse, getting under their skin, talking to their staff, listening to the business owner and then funnelling all that ‘stuff’ into clear and simple marketing communications that the marketplace will understand.

I love that process and the challenge of funnelling a complex reality into a simple sell.

Too often our businesses, our brands, our personal offerings, are so multi-dimensional we’re guilty of complicating how we describe them. We get lost.

So with all that in mind, I LOVE the simplicity of Shane Mac’s website. A one pager of a few lines communicating his multi-dimensional work life with links to find out more. So simple, but equally so effective. I’m sure Shane’s going to inspire a whole breed of stripped-down websites for consultants and freelancers.



Nice one, Shane. (hat tip to my friend Espree Devora for sharing)

2 comments:

Trevor Gay said...

Simplicity in all things is my motto Ian - keep up the good work. There is far too much bullshit and pretentiousness in business. Most people like language that is straightforward and easy to understand. I don’t understand why some managers and business folks don’t understand that simple truth.

Ian Sanders said...

Thanks Trevor, here's to cutting the crap!