Friday 21 November 2008

My Love Of Writing


In 1977, aged 9, I swallowed a marble.
And I wrote a story about it that was photocopied and despatched to aunties and uncles around the country (as was the marble – but that’s another story).


Then I realised that I liked writing. So at secondary school I became editor of the school magazine, I wrote for a music fanzine in the 80s, at university I contributed a column for the student paper, in one of my jobs I edited the company newsletter. I never wanted to be a journalist (or even a writer) but I enjoyed writing. Now, I write a lot in my job. Crafting copy for a client website, writing a client ad, blogging, tweeting, writing proposals, reports.

And now – as part of my juggling - I write books. In the last 24 hours, I have just approved publisher proofs for two books, at completely different ends of the writing spectrum. One is my business/ work/ self-help book ‘Juggle’; the other, a children’s book ‘The Extremely Very Scrambled Up World Of Little Doogs’ (which I haven’t actually written; I co-devised it, but hey I get a co-writer credit). Two books with my name on them, coming to a bookstore near you very soon.
So give me a pen and a blank sheet of paper, or an empty screen and I am a happy man...

No comments: